Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sitegeera?!

I'm trying to get a head start on learning the language we will probably be speaking while in Uganda. So far it's fun, because I obviously have some time before I have to really get serious about learning it! The Peace Corps has provided us with 12 brief lessons and a pdf guide to help us learn some of the common phrases, alphabet, etc. So, today I am doing dishes and listening to "Herbert" and "Ven" greet each other over and over, trying to make it stick! I'm making *slow* progress, I think. It makes me smile to think that in time I these greetings will become second nature. I can't wait.

For now, though, I am practicing very hard on these specific phrases, as I have a feeling I will be needing to use them a lot. :-)
  • Yogera mpola mpola (speak slowly)
  • Sitegeera (I don't understand)
  • Ddamu (repeat)
Stay tuned, Beera bulungi! (stay well!) :-)

~Emily~

No comments:

Post a Comment